Delta Faucet Company Announces 2014 Sustainability Challenge Winners
May 20, 2014
Delta Faucet Company, a worldwide leader in residential and commercial faucets, and originator of water conservation solutions, today announced the winners of its 2014 Sustainability Challenge. The initiative, now in its second year, engaged interior design and architecture students from the American University in Dubai (AUD) to encourage innovative and practical designs, in a bid to raise awareness of sustainability and water resources in the UAE and the wider Middle East.
Delta Faucet Company’s 2014 Sustainability Challenge, supported by the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (UNDESD), and in partnership with Alabbar Energy and Sustainability Group (AESG) and the Association of Professional Interior Designers (APID), focused specifically on water conservation within the hospitality sector.
The competition required students to use mandatory design elements that addressed water conservation, energy efficiency, water quality, and product durability in compliance with government design requirements. Submissions ranged from sustainable hotel rooms and spa facilities, to commercial kitchen design and pop-up café concepts, all of which utilised Delta Faucet Company’s innovative technologies and water-saving products.
The winner of this year’s Sustainability Challenge was Zainab Al Swalhi, whose ‘Junkyard Café’ design focused on reusing and recycling material such as aluminium cans to create a sustainable café concept. Nouran Kamel and Bahare Yaghar were awarded second and third place respectively. Nouran’s submission followed a futuristic, energy-saving theme with her ‘TeleFuture’ concept, in line with the Expo 2020 criteria, while Bahare’s ‘Pyrite’ hotel merged modern design with traditional features.
Commenting on the competition, Ross Jackson, General Manager Delta Faucet Company, Middle East, said, “It is our firm belief that in order to impact change in people’s approach to water conservation tomorrow, we must raise awareness amongst the youth of today. These students are the future generation of architects and interior design professionals, and will undoubtedly retain and apply their learnings for years to come.”
“Following the success of last year’s event, we have already seen a marked increase in the level of participation in the 2014 Sustainability Challenge with 58 participants submitting their designs. We were highly impressed with the standard of projects shared during this year’s competition and, although selecting a winner was not an easy one, we congratulate Zainab on her well-deserved victory and wish her all the best in future endeavours.”
Full information on the challenge criteria, entries and shortlisted designs are available, upon request, from Manal Shaikh at Capital MSL.
About Delta Faucet Company
Founded by Masco Corporation in 1954 with the introduction of the single-handle faucet, Delta Faucet Company is proud to be America's faucet innovation leader, featuring Delta®, Brizo®, and Peerless® products. A WaterSense® partner of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Delta Faucet is a global organization that offers kitchen faucets, bath faucets, shower heads, shower systems, toilets, and related accessories, selling products in more than 53 countries. For more information, visit www.deltafaucet.com.
Links to additional resources:
Delta Online Media Room
About Delta Faucet
Masco Corporation (NYSE: MAS), parent company of Delta Faucet Company, is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of brand-name consumer products for the home and family, including Behr® paint; Delta® and Hansgrohe® kitchen and bath faucets and shower fixtures; KraftMaid® and Merillat® cabinets; and Milgard® windows and doors. Masco is also a leading provider of services that include the installation of insulation and other building products through Masco Contractor Services. Visit www.masco.com for more information on the Masco family of brands.
The American University in Dubai (AUD) is a private, non-sectarian institution of higher learning founded in 1995. It serves UAE nationals and international students who seek world-class career-oriented education. AUD, as an international institution of higher education, encourages global understanding by providing an atmosphere of cultural diversity and opportunities for an international education.
• AUD is officially licensed by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the United Arab Emirates. The Ministry has accredited the university’s programs in International Studies, Business Administration (both undergraduate and graduate), Communication and Information Studies, Engineering, Computer and Information Technology, Architecture, Visual Communication and Interior Design, Education (graduate), and Construction Management (graduate), in addition to a Certificate program in Middle Eastern Studies.
• AUD is accredited by the Commission on Colleges (COC) of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
• AUD is approved to operate by the State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (NPEC).
• AUD has received specialized accreditation for its Bachelor’s of Business Administration (B.B.A.), and Master’s of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree programs in business through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
• The university’s undergraduate majors in Marketing Communications and Advertising have been accredited by the International Advertising Association (IAA) in New York.
• The Civil, Computer, and Electrical Engineering Programs of AUD’s School of Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Technology (B.S.C.I.T.) program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
For more information, please visit www.aud.edu.
For more information, please contact
Marketing Communications Department
American University in Dubai
T. +971 4 3183 108
AESG specializes in providing cost effective solutions in reducing the ecological footprint of the built environment. AESG is committed to driving sustainability in the UAE and the Middle East and takes personal pride in delivering the highest levels of sustainability on our projects.
For more information, please visit www.aesg-me.com.
APID is a professional membership organization, representing the interior design industry, committed to upholding the highest standards and quality professional practice in Interior Design. The association works for its members to address common challenges, offer networking opportunities, generate business opportunities and provide access to continuing education in fields related to interior design. It serves as a platform to exchange ideas, improve practice and raise awareness on issues of concern to the interior design profession.
APID gathers a broad community of interior designers, architects, related industry suppliers, educators, students and other interested parties to support and learn from each other, expand their networks and cultivate their prospects in a professional context.
For more information, please visit www.apid.ae.