Masco Corporation Reports Fourth Quarter and 2016 Year-End Results
February 09, 2017
2016 Fourth Quarter Key Highlights
- Sales for the fourth quarter increased 3 percent to $1.8 billion; in local currencies, sales increased 4 percent
- Gross margin improved to 32.6 percent from 31.0 percent
- Earnings per share for the quarter grew 36 percent to $0.30 per common share; adjusted earnings per share grew 14 percent to $0.33 per common share
- Repurchased 6.6 million shares for $207 million
TAYLOR, Mich. (February 9, 2017) - Masco Corporation (NYSE: MAS), one of the world’s leading manufacturers of branded home improvement and building products, reported net sales and operating profit growth for the fourth quarter and full year of 2016.
2016 Fourth Quarter Commentary
On a reported basis, compared to fourth quarter 2015:
- Net sales from continuing operations increased 3 percent to $1.8 billion
- In local currency, North American sales increased 3 percent and international sales increased 8 percent
- Gross margin improved to 32.6 percent from 31.0 percent
- Operating margin decreased to 12.2 percent from 12.4 percent, reflecting planned growth and incremental insurance costs
- Income from continuing operations was $0.30 per common share compared to $0.22 per common share
Compared to fourth quarter 2015, results for key financial measures, as adjusted for certain items (see Exhibit A) and with a normalized tax rate of 36 percent, were as follows:
- Gross margin improved to 32.8 percent compared to 31.3 percent
- Operating margin decreased to 12.6 percent compared to 12.8 percent
- Income from continuing operations was $0.33 per common share compared to $0.29 per common share
Liquidity at the end of the fourth quarter was approximately $1.2 billion
2016 Fourth Quarter Operating Segment Highlights
- Plumbing Products’ net sales increased 5 percent (7 percent excluding the impact of foreign currency translation), driven by growth in North America and internationally
- Decorative Architectural Products’ net sales increased 5 percent with strong volume growth partially offset by promotional activity
- Cabinetry Products’ net sales decreased 8 percent (7 percent excluding the impact of foreign currency translation) due to the exit of lower margin business in the direct-to-builder channel, partially offset by growth in the retail and dealer channels and favorable product mix
- Windows and Other Specialty Products’ net sales decreased 2 percent. Excluding the impact of foreign currency translation, net sales increased 2 percent, led by both our international and North American windows businesses
“We finished the year with good fourth quarter results,” said Keith Allman, Masco’s President and CEO. “Our Plumbing Products segment had another record quarter on both the top and bottom lines, demonstrating the strength of our brands and our innovative products. Our Decorative Architectural Products segment posted solid 5 percent growth in the quarter, and we executed our planned investment to drive future profitable growth. Our Cabinetry Products segment continued its strategy of exiting certain direct-to-builder business, introducing new products, and driving growth with our market-leading Merillat® and KraftMaid® brands. We began to see improvements in the operations of our U.S. window business, and we continued our disciplined capital allocation by returning approximately $240 million to shareholders through share repurchases and dividends during the quarter.”
2016 Full Year Key Highlights
- Sales for the year increased 3 percent to $7.4 billion; in local currencies, sales increased 4 percent
- Operating profit grew 15 percent to $1,053 million; adjusted operating profit grew 16 percent to $1,075 million
- Operating profit margin for the year increased to 14.3 percent, a 150 basis point expansion; adjusted operating profit margin increased to 14.6 percent, a 160 basis point expansion
- Earnings per share from continuing operations for the year grew 43 percent to $1.47 per common share; adjusted earnings per share from continuing operations grew 27 percent to $1.51 per common share
2016 Full Year Commentary
On a reported basis, compared to full year 2015:
- Net sales from continuing operations increased 3 percent to $7.4 billion
- In local currency, North American sales increased 3 percent and international sales increased 6 percent
- Gross margin improved to 33.4 percent from 31.5 percent
- Operating margin increased to 14.3 percent from 12.8 percent
- Income from continuing operations was $1.47 per common share compared to $1.03 per common share
Compared to full year 2015, results for key financial measures, as adjusted for certain items (see Exhibit A) and with a normalized tax rate of 36 percent, were as follows:
- Gross margin improved to 33.6 percent compared to 31.6 percent
- Operating margin increased to 14.6 percent compared to 13.0 percent
- Income from continuing operations was $1.51 per common share compared to $1.19 per common share
Free cash flow was $535 million
“Masco delivered another strong year in 2016,” said Allman. “We continued to execute against our long-term growth and capital allocation strategies that we established in 2015. We demonstrated our ability to capitalize on improving end markets by driving sales growth and expanding our operating margin. We successfully executed our plan to reduce leverage by paying down approximately $400 million in debt early in the year, further strengthening our balance sheet. Lastly, we generated a significant amount of free cash flow and continued our commitment to return capital to shareholders by increasing our dividend and repurchasing $459 million of our shares, enabling us to once again generate solid returns for our shareholders,” continued Allman. “We will continue to execute our strategy and remain confident in our ability to drive growth and productivity as we move into 2017.”
Headquartered in Taylor, Michigan, Masco Corporation is a global leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of branded home improvement and building products. Our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Behr® paint; Delta® and Hansgrohe® faucets, bath and shower fixtures; KraftMaid® and Merillat® cabinets; Milgard® windows and doors; and Hot Spring® spas. We leverage our powerful brands across product categories, sales channels and geographies to create value for our customers and shareholders. For more information about Masco Corporation, visit www.masco.com.
The 2016 fourth quarter supplemental material, including a presentation in PDF format, is available on the Company’s website at www.masco.com.
Conference Call Details
A conference call regarding items contained in this release is scheduled for Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. ET. Participants in the call are asked to register five to ten minutes prior to the scheduled start time by dialing (855) 226-2726 (855-22MASCO) and from outside the U.S. at (706) 679-3614. Please use the conference identification number 47955207. The conference call will be webcast simultaneously and in its entirety through the Company’s website. Shareholders, media representatives and others interested in Masco may participate in the webcast by registering through the Investor Relations section on the Company’s website.
A replay of the call will be available on Masco’s website or by phone by dialing (855) 859-2056 and from outside the U.S. at (404) 537-3406. Please use the conference identification number 47955207. The telephone replay will be available approximately two hours after the end of the call and continue through March 9, 2017.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains statements that reflect our views about our future performance and constitute “forward-looking statements” under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by words such as “believe,” “anticipate,” “appear,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “intend,” “plan,” “estimate,” “expect,” “assume,” “seek,” “forecast,” and similar references to future periods. Our views about future performance involve risks and uncertainties that are difficult to predict and, accordingly, our actual results may differ materially from the results discussed in our forward-looking statements. We caution you against relying on any of these forward-looking statements.
Our future performance may be affected by the levels of home improvement activity and new home construction, our ability to maintain our strong brands and to develop and introduce new and improved products, our ability to maintain our competitive position in our industries, our reliance on key customers, our ability to achieve the anticipated benefits of our strategic initiatives, our ability to improve our under-performing U.S. window business, the cost and availability of raw materials, our dependence on third party suppliers, and risks associated with international operations and global strategies. These and other factors are discussed in detail in Item 1A, “Risk Factors” in our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K, as well as in our Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and in other filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements in this press release speak only as of the date of this press release. Factors or events that could cause our actual results to differ may emerge from time to time, and it is not possible for us to predict all of them. Unless required by law, we undertake no obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statements as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Vice President, Treasurer and Investor Relations
# # #